to Lander Llama Co.]
[back to FAQ]
FAQ'S FOR GUIDED TRIPS
[ TRAVEL | THE
WILDERNESS | POLICIES ]
- Where is Lander, WY?.....Lander, Wyoming is
located at the base of the eastern side of the Wind River Range
in the northern most Rocky Mountains in west central Wyoming.
- How do we get to Lander, WY?.....You can fly or drive a vehicle. Trains and buses do not serve Lander, WY. The closest airport is Riverton, WY which is 30 miles north east of Lander. Also, Casper, WY is 120 miles east of Lander, Jackson Hole, WY is 150 miles north west of Lander, Rock Springs, WY is 120 miles south of Lander, and Denver, CO is 350 miles (6 hours), Salt Lake City, UT is 280 miles (4 1/2 hours) from Lander. All of the airports have car
- Where can we stay when we arrive in Lander?.....We
have "THE BUNK
HOUSE" at our ranch or we have many fine Bed & Breakfasts, Motels, Hotels, and Campgrounds.
- How do we get from the Riverton, WY airport to Lander?.....If
you are not renting a car, we recommend a taxi or shuttle service
to Lander, WY. Please visit our transportation services.
- How do we get from our Lander motel to your ranch?.....If you are not renting a car, we can pick you up in Lander just before your morning trip departure (6:45 AM) and will drop you off back at your Lander motel after your trip ends.
- How do we get around in Lander to shop and eat?.....You can walk from one end of Lander to the other in about 15 minutes. All motels and some bed & breakfasts are in the city limits. There are numerous restaurants and shops for most anything you may have forgotten or need. Stores in Lander have limited or no hours on Sundays and some restaurants are closed. If you are staying in "THE BUNK
HOUSE" it is a 3 minute drive to Main Street in Lander, WY.
- When is your operating season?.....Our Red
Desert trips usually run in late May through mid June. Our high
country Wind River & Absaroka range trips run late June through
- What is the weather like?.....Typical summer weather in the high country is sunny with very little rain. Temperatures have highs of 85 F and lows of 40 F. The air is dry with very little humidity. For the most part, our summer high country is very comfortable and we are usually in shorts and t-shirts in the day with a sweater or light jacket in the evening. Check out todays Lander Weather Report
- What should we bring for clothes?.....We will send you a recommended clothing list once you have booked a trip or you can look at or print out our
Recommended Clothing List
- What camping gear do we need to bring?....On our guided trips we supply almost everything. This includes tents, sleeping bags, pads, food, guide, cook, first aid. You of course, are responsible for your personal clothing, toiletries, and any fishing gear you should need. You are welcome to bring your own sleeping bags and tents, but you must have them approved by us before departure.
- Can we ride the llamas?.....No, sorry you can't. Llamas only pack the heavy gear.
- How far do you hike in a day?.....Typically we hike between 5 and 8 miles per travel day depending on the group. Some customized groups do more miles and some groups do less. Occasionally we'll do more miles on the last day out.
- What are the elevations?.....We start out at about 8,800 ft. and max out at about 10,800 ft. Camping is usually in the 10,000 ft. +/- 300 ft. range in elevation.
- What are the sleeping arrangements?.....We use 1and 2 person Eureka Spitfires, Go-Lite 4 season and 2 person, Eureka XT tents. Couples are paired off. You do not tent with any people you do not know. Single people, with out any partners, will also have a single person tent to themselves. We have 4 person Eureka Outfitter tents for families with small kids upon request.
- How many days are your trips?.....Our guided trips are from 3, 5, and 7 days long. Most trips are in the 5 day long range.
- How many people do you take on your trips?.....We try to take no more than 10 people on a mixed group trip. Example: If your group has 5 people we would reserve the right to mix up to 5 more people on the trip. Our typical trips are in the 6 to 8 person range. We can take up to 15 people on a private group trip, and would need a minimum of 10 people (or financial equivalent) for a private trip (closed to any other groups).
- How many people do we need to start a new trip?.....You
need 4 people to commence a new trip. A group of 2 or more may
start a new trip but we reserve the right to cancel the trip
should no more than 2 people sign up.
- I'm a single traveler, can I join a scheduled trip?.....Yes, however we still need a minimum of 4 to commence any trip. It may be more difficult to have advance plans as a single participant until the minimum has been attained. Please check with Lander Llama Co. to see which trips scheduled have attained the minimum amount of participants.
- Do you have scheduled trips we can join?.....We
customize trips on a first come first served basis. As we move
towards the summer season there will be many trips to choose
from. You may also start a new trip if there are time openings.
Check out our 2018 Guided Trip Schedule .
- What is the recommended ages for children?.....We recommend the age of 6 should be the cut-off point, but some children are more capable that others and the parents should be the best judges. We try to keep young children (under 10) mixed with other young children on mixed groups.
- What about the food?.....We serve delicious food, and your group will get to choose, as a whole, from our menu for their suppers. If needed, you will get to make some special requests, such as vegetarian choices and substititions for meals, and list any dislikes or allergies. We strive to work with people on the menu, however we do not serve individal meals.
- How much water is there?.....Water is plentiful! You will always have your water bottle with you and we provide treatment and/or filtering. There will be large jugs of drinking water available in camps.
- Can we bring our dog?....No. Sorry, we love dogs too, but not all people should be subject to your dogs lovable kisses and other doggie habits. We recommend they stay with a loved one at home where they will be safe and out of trouble.
- What if we have a serious injury while on the trip?....This will be a wilderness trip and you will be many miles and hours from civilization. We do however, have a GPS device that may be able to reach an air or land evacuation service at your expense. This GPS device will be used for life and death emergency evcacuations only. Evacuation and Trip Insurance is recommended.
- How many guides are on a trip?..... A minimum of 2 guides will be on a full trip. One guide may be on a trip that is not full. Our usual ratio is 4 participants to 1 guide.
& Policies (Lander Llama Co. has a strict cancellation policy and highly suggests trip insurance should you, or any other participants in your group, have any unexpected injuries or crisis, that would facilitate the need to cancel your trip. There will be financial losses with any cancellation)
Deposit and Cancellation Policy
To reserve a trip with Lander Llama Company you must give a deposit of 50% of the total cost. All balances are due 30 days prior to trip departure date. All cancellations received shall completely forfeit the deposit and I waive my right to charge back the credit card transaction for the 50% deposit of the total cost and/or the balances due. Lander Llama Company reserves the right to cancel or change any trip itineraries for the safety and well being of all participants, and full refunds will occur if the trip is cancelled by Lander Llama Company. I also agree, if paying by credit card, that if Lander Llama Company has not received final payment on or before 30 days prior to the scheduled departure date, my credit card can be charged for the remaining balance. All participants on Lander Llama Company trips must sign a waiver and medical form prior to trip departure. Any credit card refunds or credits will be charged 6% fee.